Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Our eyes are the window to our soul; but what else is behind these windows??


     Our eyes tell us a lot; it's true, but if we look well beyond them, we learn so much more.

     As anyone who knows much about MS will tell you, vision loss is one of the first things that can happen with this disease.  The optic nerve is damaged due to the attack on the myelin in the brain.  

     Of all of the symptoms of MS, this is the one I've been very fortunate to dodge.  After 30 years I remain optimistic, though make it a point to have my eyes checked on a regular basis, so I can be aware of any changes that might occur.

     It's funny how it's called an eye exam, yet no amount of studying can change the results.  I suppose I could stay up all night memorizing the eye charts... but I'll take the sleep and let my eyes do their job.


          Modern technology has sure come a long way.  As you can see, the technician can take pictures that go all the way back to my optic nerve, letting my Eye Doctor see a clear view of any damage. 
                                         
       If there was damage due to my MS it would show up in the form of Optic Neuritis.  In this case the optic nerve would appear pale pink, or possibly even white. 
                                         

     In this photo of my eye ball (I think that's the technical term...lol) you'll notice my optic nerve is very bright pink; then again, look who we're talking about... is there any other color but pink?!  If I was down to my last nerve, MS would surely be on it...
     I was thrilled to find out my eyes looked exactly like the eyes of someone without MS.  And now I'll just continue to hold out hope that they stay that way.  Besides, I have enough other things going on, so I'll just count my blessings.

     And my Doctor also doubles as a magician; look, he turned my blue eyes to almost all black!  Of course they'll be back to blue in a few hours...

          There's only so much we can do to keep healthy and the rest we have to leave up to fate, but if there's anything I've learned, it's that we have to accept what life gives us and be thankful for everything we have.

Have a great day!!

Christine:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment, I would love to hear from you. :)