Monday, May 18, 2015

What is it that makes it a bike ride?




       This past Sunday was one of the nicest I've seen for a bike ride all season, and I knew there was no way my friends could come up with an excuse if we road in their neck of the woods; so we met at Harrison lake in Fayette, which was a one hour car ride away.

     This bike ride sure took me back to my childhood; though it wasn't an actual bike trail, it was a true ride down memory lane.

      My family and I used to camp here when I was a kid, but I had no idea what it was like to explore it on my bike.  With having four siblings, taking all of our bikes with us wasn't an option.  We barely had room for all of our shoes, but at least we did have that, and that was what our legs were for.



     There were four of us riding this day but everyone of us was taking it from a different angle.  There was Robert with his reclined, recumbent and bare feet,

and Mary with her road bike, that she had only been on for a ten mile ride previously...



   Then there was Kent on his up right recumbent for back support.

    And last but not least, there was me, who may have looked like I knew what I was doing...

                                 

     But the only thing on my mind was hoping I didn't plow into any of the little kids riding on these three wheeled rental bikes, reminding me of those guys in the tiny cars from the shrine circus.

                              
                                      Where were these things when I was a kid??


     Another memory I had from my childhood was when my dad took my brothers and I fishing in the lake.  I must have been around seven years old; I had this orange plastic fishing pole my father had given me to make me think I was part of the fishing excursion. We were there for what seemed like hours, and the fish just weren't biting.  Just then as my brothers were ready to throw in the towel I happened to snag a tiny sunfish with my little kid pole, and you never saw anyone throw their poles back in the water like they did; if a girl could catch a fish how hard could it be...

          Jumping forward to our bike ride yesterday... The scenery around the lake was breathtaking; but then out of nowhere, the road turned into gravel, and that's one thing my skinny tire road bike and I don't like...



          My buddies were anxious to ride across the dam and I wanted to stay in one piece, but I was never happier to stay back and stare at the lake and take a million pictures; besides, it wasn't long before they were back and we finished our ride.

     This lake that I loved to camp and fish at brought back nothing but good memories. And to add to those memories I now had the experience of riding my bike around this beautiful lake as well.

     I learned that sometimes when we experience things early in life we might feel like something is missing; but if we just keep living life, the things that were missing the first time around might show up eventually; when we appreciate them even more.

Have a great day!!

Christine:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment, I would love to hear from you. :)