Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Walbridge Park; A beautiful park, but what were they thinking...


     So last Saturday afternoon I decided to take a ride through Walbridge Park in South Toledo. It was a little warmer than the previous weekend so I had to sneak another ride in while I had the chance.

      This park runs between the Maumee River and the Toledo Zoo.  I haven't been here since I was a child and it sure did look different from how I remembered it.


     I know this observation deck wasn't here way back when.  The wood looks too new; if it was from my childhood it would have probably been decayed by now:)





     The view from this angle is very scenic, and from here it looks as though you could walk right into the river.  When I was a small child, my parents took my three brothers and me to this park on independence day to see the fireworks that were shot off from across the river.  It was awesome, even if my younger brother was terrified.  

     Here's what I'm a little baffled about though, being an adult and mother I can't figure out two things;  What were they thinking "A" when they built this brick stair stepped wall with no railing going across, and "B": could you imagine that passing code if the safety laws they have in place today were around back then??  This is an accident waiting to happen.




     It's hard to see from this angle, but between every five foot tall brick wall there was a grass landing about twelve feet in depth.  Families with small children would lay out blankets and perch on the landings as they watched the fireworks.  (Oh, and there were no concession stands, it was homemade popcorn popped in bacon grease and kool-aid...) 



     Walbridge Park was a beautiful park, and I'm glad I was able to get out and ride again before the cold weather sets in for the winter, but I'll continue to wonder when I see that wall... What were they thinking??

Have a great day!!

Christine:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment, I would love to hear from you. :)