Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Training wheels, training or trains




     With all of my training for the Bike To The Bay over the past year I've over come many obstacles and made many interesting discoveries.

     One year ago I was very proud of myself when I made it 8 miles on my bike, and now if I don't go at  least 15 miles it isn't really a "bike ride" at all.  And I thought those "training wheels" would never come off.

     I've gone from huffing and puffing at 8 -10 miles an hour to averaging about 13 miles an hour;  All this with only one "good leg".  It's amazing what you can accomplish if you just have faith.

     The many bike trails I've discovered around the city have opened up a whole new world for me, and It's a freedom I never knew existed.

     One of my favorite bike trails is the University Parks Trail.  After riding it many times I learned a bit about the origin of this fine trail.  To my understanding this trail was built along the route of an old rail road, which you can see as you travel the path, though never a glimpse of a train in sight.

     Yesterday, however, I made another discovery and that is that this railroad is only "old" in the sense of the word, but by no means retired.

     I always pick up this trail by way of Wildwood park and for the first time I was actually stopped in my tracks (no pun intended) by a passing train.  I had to take a picture because it was so unbelievable.





     Then I had to have a kind stranger and fellow biker snap a picture of the expression on my face which meant  "WTF" (When's this finished??... come on, what were you thinking?!?!).



     So now I guess I have to rename this the University Parks Trail/railroad, and not only do I have to watch out for crossing animals, but possibly a random train or two.

Have a great day!!

Christine:)

1 comment:

  1. Hehehe...bow you take train photos like I do! :)

    By the way, When you said WTF, I thought what the fish? That's what our cats say. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please post a comment, I would love to hear from you. :)